PHOTOGRAPHIES FROM THE COLLECTION OF STEFAN OKOŁOWICZ
OTHER STUDIES AND DOCUMENTS
TRIESTE, STUDIO TOMMASEO (VIA DEL MONTE 2/1)
Friday, October 18, [lectures/studies and documentary films] 4 pm
Giuliana Carbi, president of the Trieste Contemporanea Committee, welcome
Jerzy Adamczyk, Consul General of the Republic of Poland in Milan, welcome
Gabriella Cardazzo, introduction
première screening of Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz – Pegaz (Poland, 1977, 11’08’’, courtesy Telewizja Polska S. A.).
Giovanna Tomassucci, Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz: a Polish writer for today?
Milada Ślizińska, Tadeusz Kantor performing Witkiewicz, from "The Cuttlefish" to "Umarła Klasa".
screening of Witkewicz and Ingarden. A philosophycal friendship. by Elena de Varda (2013, 32').
Paweł Polit, Witkacy’s drawings and paintings: towards ontological iconography.
Przemysław Strożek, Italian Futurists, Witkacy and the origins of photo-performance.
special screening of The Eye and The Ear (1944/45, by Stefan and Franciszka Themerson, 10’).
– four songs by Polish composer Karol Szymanowski are interpreted visually with voice-over narration. This film was an experiment in using the medium of the screen to create an impression for the eye comparable to that experienced by the ear.
THE SPEAKERS: Paweł Polit is a writer on art and a curator at Muzeum Sztuki in Lodz, Poland. Milada Ślizińska is a contemporary art curator and a lecturer at Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw. Przemysław Strożek is an assistant professor at the Institute of Art of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Giovanna Tomassucci is an associate professor at University of Pisa, Italy.Elena de Varda is the director of Filmlux in Milan.
WORKING LANGUAGE: ENGLISH
Friday, October 18, [opening of the exhibition] 6 pm
– a showcase of dense portraits made from the 1910s to the early 1930s. Among these is a portrait of Arthur Rubinstein and one of the great Polish anthropologist and founder of social anthropology, Bronisław Malinowski, who was also a friend of Witkiewicz.
Saturday, October 19 [documentary film] 6:30 pm
screening of Lovelies and Dowdies by Ken McMullen (UK, 1974, 30’).
– on the influence of Witkiewicz on Tadeusz Kantor.
Saturday, October 19 [readers theatre] 7 pm
curators and performers Loriano Della Rocca and Ludmila Ryba
– readings taken from Introduction to the Theory of Pure Form in the Theatre, The Water Hen, The Madman and the Nun, Narkotyki – Niemyte dusze (narcotics – badly cleansed souls, first Italian translation by Ludmila Ryba).
Wednesday, December 18 [finissage of the exhibition] 7 pm
a conversation with Andrzej Wełmiński
– the Polish artist and member of Tadeusz Kantor’s Cricot 2 theatre company, will bring into focus what a performance is according to Witkiewicz.
Trieste Contemporanea Committee
+39 040 639187